Thursday 20 June 2013

Report: Hunting the Milky Way

Having never actually captured the Milky Way (that big ol' galaxy of ours) I went on an adventure last week and took advantage of a relatively clear evening. I drove over to the Isle of Sheppey, in order to find as darker skies as I could within a reasonable distance. A 25 minute drive saw me in the middle of a number of fields, surrounded by a country path, some noisy birds and, well, that was about it. See the red dot on the map!

I'm going to travel to a few places around my area to find dark skies, and to find appropriate places I could set up my new tracking mount, without getting too much unwanted attention.

I took my camera and tripod out, and once parked up positioned the tripod just outside my car window -using a wired remote I was able to snap shots of the night sky without leaving my seat.

As it got darker, and my eyes adjusted, the milky way became more and more visible to the naked eye as a misty streak of stars drifting from one horizon to the other. I took a few hundred photos, but only happy with a few - it seems the milky way is a pretty tough target regardless of its size. Balancing the exposure to capture the feint stars, without filling the shot with light pollution was also a challenge.

The below shot was my favourite from the night, with the Milky Way clearly visible rising up above the horizon. The majority of the light pollution came from over the water in Whitstable. I may in future try move further West to reduce the light pollution, but like with many aspects of astrophotography - trial and error seems to be the way forward.

The Milky Way

No comments:

Post a Comment